About the Rocky Mountain Curling Association
The Rocky Mountain Curling Association (RMCA) has it roots in the legacy of the Alberta Winter Games, where the towns of Canmore and Banff, Alberta joined together to organize and host athletes, coaches, spectators, families and events in the Bow Valley. The collaboration was so successful, members of the organizing group turned its attention to curling and to developing the sport in our communities.
In 2018, the Qualico Mixed Doubles classic was founded with assistance from Canmore resident, John Morris, two-time Olympic Gold medalist in curling. With the generosity of our major sponsor Qualico Canada, a leading home-builder and property developer, the RMCA became the proud host of the Qualico Mixed Doubles Classic. This annual event is one of the premiere mixed doubles curling events on the world curling tour and it attracts a field of top international, Canadian and regional teams.
Giving back to the Bow Valley
What sets the Qualico apart from other similar events is the focus on community and giving back. Proceeds from the event are granted to the Banff and Canmore curling clubs for use in development programs aimed at growing participation in the sport of curling. A primary focus is targeting youth, seniors and aboriginal populations in the Bow Valley
To date, proceeds from the Qualico Mixed Doubles Classic have been donated the Rocky Mountain Adaptive, an organization whose mission is to enable children and youth with physical, developmental or cognitive impairments to participate, learn and excel in mountain sport and recreation activities. A donation of $1500 has also been made to support Junior Curling.
Volunteer driven. Community focussed.
The RMCA is run entirely by volunteers from the local community, including a six-member Board of Directors with representatives from Banff and Canmore. The committee is responsible for overseeing the planning, logistics, operations, financial and administration aspects of the Qualico Mixed Doubles Classic. The event also provides volunteer opportunities to community residents before and during the event.
The Qualico Mixed Doubles Classic is hosted each year at both the Banff Curling Club and the Canmore Golf & Curling Club. This co-club event strengthens the bond between the two clubs and their communities.
One of the unique features of the Qualico, is that every year, two spots are held for local teams from the Banff and Canmore curling clubs. This allows local club curlers the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go up against the best of the best! Curlers and non-curlers alike are invited to watch the event in-person or via live-stream, thus building interest and participation in the sport.
- To be recognized as Canada’s top Mixed Doubles Curling Bonspiel.
- To attract a balance of top international, Canadian and regional teams.
- To support the growth and development of the mixed doubles curling game of curling.
- To provide a competitive opportunity for Canadians to test and grow their abilities in the mixed doubles discipline of curling.
- To create a co-Club event between Canmore and Banff strengthening the bond between the two Clubs and their communities
- To generate economic development for the Curling Clubs and the communities of Canmore and Banff through the sport of curling.
- To generate excess funds through the event that will be granted to the curling clubs for use in development programs aimed at growing participation in the sport. A primary focus targeting youth, seniors and aboriginal populations in Canmore and Banff.
- To expose local curlers to competitive curling through participation in or watching the event.
- To expose the Canmore and Banff residents to the Curling Clubs and the sport of curling.
- To provide opportunities for volunteerism and event organization to the community residents.